Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Healthy Holiday Cooking #HealthyFamilies


When we think of healthy cooking, we usually think of cooking with healthy ingredients but today I'm writing about keeping our cooking germ-free to avoid illness. During the holidays we all enjoy hosting and visiting our friends and family. These visits almost always include tasty treats and holiday feasts . Food is definitely one of my favorite parts of the holiday season but with all the food prep happening, it is easy for some germs to get spread and some food contaminated. It's nice to give and receive gifts this time of year but food poisoning shouldn't be one of them!

The Hygiene Council has a fabulous website that gives lots of tips and info on keeping your home healthy and hygienic. After checking it out I learned some interesting (and slightly scary) things. Did you know your sink contains 100,000 more germs than your toilet?! If you want to go give your sink a scrub, I'll wait... oh yeah, while your at it, throw those dish cloths in the wash because 9 out of 10 kitchen cloths have unsatisfactory levels of bacteria.

With all this bacteria hanging around our kitchens, it's extremely important that we are mindful when preparing and storing food. Here are some great tips from the Hygiene Council website:
  • use different knives and cutting boards for meat and fruits and veggies
  • always cook meat to the recommended internal temperature
  • don't leave cooked food at room temperature for more than two hours
  • do not reheat food more than once
  • disinfect the inside of your fridge and wipe of food drips and spills 
  • use foot operated trash bins to reduce the spread of germs to your hands
With this knowledge and these tips, I had a great time this holiday season preparing food for my friends and family. We had our big turkey dinner on Christmas Eve because that allows me to enjoy Christmas Day with my kids instead of being chained to the oven all day. We had lasagna (a family favorite) Christmas Day and will be enjoying hot turkey sandwiches today. Over the past week we have spent some time baking cookies, fudge, tarts and cupcakes. Do you have a favorite holiday meal or treat?

Disclosure: I am part of the Lysol® Healthy Families Ambassador Program by Mom Central. I received compensation as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting. I didn't know about not reheating more than once. I'll have to adopt that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always try to follow these steps, you don't want anyone getting sick because of something I did and I love the idea of having lasagna for Christmas dinner, I think I am going to steal your idea for this one because with all the snacking everyone does and me making a big turkey dinner when it's time to eat everyone is to full

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear what you have to say. *NOTE- Comments may not appear right away due to my moderation settings.