Thursday, November 29, 2012

Fighting Cold & Flu With Kids #HealthyFamilies

Winter set in early this year in Edmonton. We have had snow on the ground for weeks and I can't remember the last time the temperature was above freezing. Of course, along with the snow and cold comes the sickness. My boys have each caught a small bug this month but for the most part we have managed to fight off any big illness so far.

How do I keep my family healthy during cold and flu season?

Hand washing is so important. We wash our hands A LOT. I have mentioned my love of the Lysol No-Touch Hand Soap Dispenser in the past. Recently I discovered some different refill scents that are ideal for the holidays - Vanilla & Brown Sugar and Cranberry. I am absolutely loving these two scents! We also keep antibacterial hand gel around for extra protection.

Keeping surfaces germ free. My Lysol Disinfecting Wipes seem to always be in my hand. Wiping down counters and tables is imperative but don't forget those other surfaces that are touched so much. Door knobs, light switches and the thermostat are all germ magnets this time of year!

Cough into your elbow. Obviously this helps keep hands clean. I send individual packs of tissues with my kids each morning but sometimes a sneeze or cough comes on too quickly to use a tissue.

Avoid sharing food and other items. My kids aren't allowed to share food at school so that comes naturally to them but I also remind them that sharing pencils and other school items spreads germs as well. You never know what's lurking on those scissors!

Get lots of sleep and eat well. As with anytime of year, healthy food and lots of rest keeps your immune system strong which keeps your whole body strong. Comfort food is delicious but healthy food is more important.

While trying to keep us all healthy, I also want my home to be clean and pleasant.  With snow on the ground everything seems to be damp all the time - coats, hats, boots, gloves, the hem of pants. The wetness is not only depressing, it stinks! Lysol Fabric Refresher has been a godsend in fighting that musty smell that often lingers around all the winter items. A few sprays of the fabric refresher and everything smells great again!

Do you have any tips for keeping your family healthy or keeping your house fresh and clean during cold and flu season?

*Disclosure: I am part of the Lysol® Healthy Families Ambassador Program by Mom Central. I received compensation as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear what you have to say. *NOTE- Comments may not appear right away due to my moderation settings.